Touching Spirit Bear
by Ben Mikaelsen
- Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award (Minnesota)
- Golden Sower Award (Nebraska)
- Golden Archer Award (Wisconsin)
- Nevada Young Readers' Award
- Flicker Tale Children's Book Award (North Dakota)
- California Young Reader Medal
- Book Sense Pick
- Beehive Award (Utah)
- ALA Best Fiction for Young Adults
In his Napra Nautilus Award-winning novel Touching Spirit Bear, author Ben Mikaelson delivers a poignant coming-of-age story of a boy who must overcome the effects that violence has had on his life.
After severely injuring Peter Driscal in an empty parking lot, mischief-maker Cole Matthews is in major trouble. But instead of jail time, Cole is given another option: attend Circle Justice, an alternative program that sends juvenile offenders to a remote Alaskan Island to focus on changing their ways. Desperate to avoid prison, Cole fakes humility and agrees to go.
While there, Cole is mauled by a mysterious white bear and left for dead. Thoughts of his abusive parents, helpless Peter, and his own anger cause him to examine his actions and seek redemption—from the spirit bear that attacked him, from his victims, and from himself.